Monday, April 24, 2006

It's time for lime, baby! But why doesn't anyone have it?

I'm ready to buy some quicklime so I can slake it and make lime putty for plaster and mortar repairs. Only problem is, no one seems to sell it! Our local masonry supply shop had Type S hydrated lime, which will do in a pinch, but I'd really like to use traditional methods and materials, which means buying limestone and burning, then slaking it, or at least buying quicklime and slaking it. No dice, my friends! Now, I know the guys down at Virginia Lime Works (www.virginialimeworks.com), who do amazing work, sell lime putty and such, but Virginia's a mighty long way away. Mississippi Lime Company also sells it--but again, kind of far away. Plus (at the risk of sounding like a whiney restoration brat), I want to do it myself!

If money were no object, I'd open a store that had salvage as well as all sorts of traditional building materials--hand planes, lime and/or premixed lime putty, good quality graining tools and pigments, you name it! Of course, I'm probably the only person who'd shop at my own store...that could be problematic.

It's just frustrating to have the desire but to have such a difficult time finding the materials!

No comments: